Headlight Restoration and Coating: BMW 525
Removing old oxidized lacquer and also sanding marks left by previous technician.
Process as below:
1) Masked with 2 layers of masking tape followed by 2 layers of duct tape.
2) Machine sand with Ryobi finishing sander using 800 grit, followed by 1000 grit, 1500 and 2000 grit. Plain water used as lube.
3) Tight corners hand sanded using Optimum No Rinse Wash diluted to QD ratio as lube.
4) Compounded with Osren Perfect 40 compound and 3.5″ Lake Country twisted wool pad with Makita 9227C @ 1500 rpm
5) Fine compounding with Meguiar’s #101 Foam-Cut Compound and 3.5″ Lake Country Orange cutting pad with Makita 9227C @ 1500 rpm
6) Polished with Osren Perfect Cut 2.0 and 3.5″ Lake Country White polishing pad with Makita 9227C @ 1500 rpm
7) Final polishing with Osren Perfect Cut 2.0 and 3.5″ Lake Country White polishing with Dodo Juice Das 6 Dual Action polisher @ speed 5.
8) Remove tape, wipe down surrounding panels and engine bay. Wipe headlights with water.
9) Coat with GTechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer.
Notes: The edges still had some leftover cracking but much reduced. A lower grit number is needed.
Thanks for looking, all comments are appreciated 🙂